The senior school offers a number of pathways to students to help them achieve their preferred goal when they complete their studies at Emerald.
- Victorian Certificate of Education (VCE)
- Victorian Certificate of Applied Learning (VCAL)
- Vocational Education and Training Program (VET)
- Australian School Based Apprenticeship Program
Victorian Certificate of Education (VCE)
The Victorian Certificate of Education is a certificate of achievement issued by the Victorian Curriculum and Assessment Authority (VCAA) on behalf of the Department of Education. This certificate is normally undertaken over a two-year period and usually consists of 22 semester length units. However, for some students, taking the VCE over a three year period may be advisable, particularly if they choose a subject which involves some work placement or vocational training.
To be awarded the VCE students must satisfactorily complete at least 16 units (a unit is a subject that runs for one semester). Of the 16 units completed satisfactorily, the following must be included:
- At least three units of English (may be taken from Units 1-4 of English, Units 1-4 of Literature or Units 1 and 2 of Foundation English)
- An English/Literature study Unit 3/4 sequence is required for a student to receive their VCE Certificate and Australian Tertiary Admissions Rank (ATAR)
- At least three Unit 3/4 sequences other than English